Using canned lentils and chickpeas, this hearty lamb soup is ready in around half an hour!
The ingredient of Moroccan lamb & chickpea soup
- 2 red onions
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2cm piece ginger
- 400g can chickpeas
- 400g can lentils
- 1 cinnamon quill
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 400g can cherry tomatoes or diced tomatoes
- 450g lamb chump chops (see note)
- 1/4 bunch coriander
- 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley
- 50g (1/4 cup) white long-grain rice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Lemon cheeks, to serve
The instruction how to make Moroccan lamb & chickpea soup
- Peel and finely chop onions, then thinly slice celery. Heat oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add onions, celery and 1 teaspoon salt. Crush garlic and grate ginger into pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes or until vegetables are softened.
- Drain and rinse chickpeas and lentils. Add spices to pan and stir for 1 minute or until fragrant. Stir in chickpeas, lentils, tomatoes and 1L water, then bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, trim fat and bones from lamb, discarding bones and reserving fat. Cut meat into 2cm pieces and set aside. Tear leaves from herbs, roughly chop, then set aside. Add rice to soup and cook for a further 10 minutes or until just tender.
- Meanwhile, heat a heavy-based pan over high heat. Add reserved fat and stir for 1 minute or until enough fat is released to coat pan. Add meat and season with salt and pepper. Cook, turning, for 6 minutes or until cooked through. Discard fat.
- Stir meat, herbs and lemon juice into soup, then divide among bowls. Serve with lemon cheeks.
Nutritions of Moroccan lamb & chickpea soupfatContent: 364.714 calories
saturatedFatContent: 16 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 4 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 28 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 5 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 23 grams protein
sodiumContent: 39 milligrams cholesterol